Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Since Friday...

This has been a busy knitting weekend (well, extended weekend).

Friday was the Indigo appearance of the Yarn Harlot. I met up with Ms. M and the Crazy Knitting Lady and their parents around 6-6:10 and we promptly lined up, which was a good thing since if we'd been much later we would have been among the standing majority. Instead we sat and worked on socks and chatted and estimated how many people were standing up. It was lovely, the YH as hilarious (as could be expected), the crowd was huge, and there was so much knitting going on one could get giddy from the yarn fumes. M and G took many pictures, and M's were mentioned on the YH's blog - so exciting!! Friday night was spent knitting away at M and G's since tiredness and the amount of stuff I had to schlep around (being a turtle has serious disadvantages at times) prevented us from carrying on in public.

Saturday more knitting in the morning. Went home. more knitting - while entertaining company. Then read YH's new book (G - you shouldn't put ideas in my head without also reminding me to insure the water temperature be adjusted up to make sure it stays hot long enough!!)

Sunday - confirmation and first communion - followed by house full of company - followed by trip to Liz's where I - you guessed it - knit some more, as we watched movies until the wee hours.

Monday - tried to check out the yarn shop in Milton - it is closed Mondays. So we went back to Lizzie's and sewed and sewed and sewed - I now have a petticoat appropriate for 1812 and French/Indian and the pattern for a chemise appropriate for either and a serious problem with the pattern for the coat I'll be needing for July (geesh, all this for a camping trip!!) - patter was 3 sizes too small... so I don't have a jacket. Then we watched Pirates 1 and I ... knit (my shawl has gotten a lot of love lately).

Today - went back to yarn shop. I wanted to see if I could pick up or possibly substitute yarn for the nightie in Mason Dixon, however they didn't have the Euroflax or the book... (so I'm not the last person on the planet to get their copy). So that plan fell through. Instead I picked up some more sock yarn - cuz you always need more sock yarn... and a couple of odds and ends, a hard plastic gauge ruler, some stitch makers, and a 4.5mm-32" circular. The store is big and airy and the staff (I assume owner) was very nice. But I was disappointed on a couple of fronts. 1. Nothing irritates me more (well almost nothing) than a store that doesn't clearly price things. There was no system here, somethings had prices some didn't.
2. There didn't seem to be much by way of organization - sometimes it was all a designer (ie. Debbie Bliss) other times it was type (ie. baby yarn).
3. Pattern selection was crap. Lots of magazines, which was good, but almost no books and none of the ones I'd have liked to consult (ie. Mason Dixon...). Also poorly arranged, there might have been good stuff but I would have had to flip through all of the books.
I may end up back there again some time, but I'm not likely to take up residence.

Plans - I have two orders that need to go into knitpicks - with desperate hope that they will arrive in something resembling a timely fashion.
Want to knit-
* knee socks to go with the other re-enactment stuff (probably own design using the shaping from the Clessidra as a starting point) using the bare merino/silk from knitpicks.
*a baby blanket of my own design (with the superwash ww bare again knitpicks) it's going to have cables and a dragon...
*the nightie from MD, not sure whether I'll use the Euroflax or try to sub, we'll see (the book is in the first kp order)

Also - Friday I do my fields (eeek), I'm thinking since many of my friends aren't actually around to celebrate, and I'm planning to come home that night anyway, that I might just go yarn shopping afterwards...

1 comment:

Glenna C said...

new yarn stores are always a good adventure - at least you got some good sock yarn! It is so true one can always get more of that.

And hey, a little bubble bath while reading the YH never hurt! ;)