Wednesday, September 05, 2007

To block or not to block

that is the question! The one I usually try to pretend doesn't exist, I mean, I think I've blocked a grand total of one sweater, I never block socks and my first real lace project is still on the needles.

But I just finished my first Christmas present, and it is a shawl. A lace pattern (basically like the lower edge lace of the After Dark Nightie). It was knit in a fingering weight superwash - so do I have to block it? Will it really look better if I wet it and pin it out?

(I can't find the camera cable or I'd add pictures at this point). Whether I have to block it or not, I'm very excited to have it done. I'm started already on the second one (which is going to be a slightly narrower chevron lace shawl). I've also planned out the third which I really don't know what to expect from, but it should be interesting at any rate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm definitely not an expert on superwash but I say block it anyway! Lace is supposed to love blocking. So I say even if it doesn't change the finished product, you can't hurt it. But it just might make it look even nicer.